AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Friday, March 14, 2008

TTFF News - Young Hislop aims to impress vs El Salvador

Young Hislop aims to impress vs El Salvador

 

Issued by Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Media Officer, March 14, 2008

 

National team defender Makan Hislop is hoping to make an early good impression on Francisco Maturana and intends to hold steady at the back in next Wednesday’s friendly international against El Salvador at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

 

With an entire Digicel Cup Finals campaign under his belt, having played for the “Soca Warriors in the 2007 Finals when they finished runners up to Haiti, Hislop, now a graduate of the University of South Carolina, is settling back into the national team setup.

 

“After the Digicel Cup I was missing in action for a bit but now I’m back and I want to try and keep my place in the national team and that means now I have to be on top of my game and be able to make a valuable contribution on the pitch,” Hislop told TTFF Media following Friday’s training session at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

 

Hislop is one of the more experienced players in the current side with only fellow defenders Aklie Edwards and Keston Williams being in the team for longer along with Kern Cupid who arrives from the United States on the weekend.

 

“I’m excited because I have been in other national teams and I’m excited about this call up because it’s close to the World Cup qualifiers,” said Hislop who now holds a bachelors degree in business.

 

“That was always important… having an education background so that could help me after football.  Having that in my back pocket makes me feel accomplished,” added the Tobago-born player.

 

“I think I can fit back in pretty well down here even though the weather is always a sharp change.”

 

About being one of the key players in defense going into Wednesday’s encounter, the former National Under 20 team captain said he wasn’t feeling pressured and expects the new faces like Silas Spann, Justin Fojo, Akeem Adams to fit in well with the likes of Edwards, experienced midfielder Aurtis Whitley and striker Kevon Neaves who made his debut in a 2-0 win over Iceland in 2006.

 

“I’m quite accustomed to it so I’m not worried . I’m confident in my ability and given enough playing time I think I can settle in well. I don’t know much about the El Salvador team but we as a team have been growing and we have a lot of talented faces and a few experienced ones involved so I’m hopeful we can produce good football,” added the 22-year-old who will be attached to United Petrotrin during his stay on local shores.

 

Assistant coach Anton Corneal said emphasis has been placed on getting the players fitting into the right positions for the team.

 

“For any player coming into the team at this stage, particularly in a World Cup year, it’s always a big occasion and we hope to get the best out of them. It means too that we have some more work to do as coaches and the emphasis has been on working the players into the specific positions and letting them understand their roles. It’s good for a lot of the young faces to get into the mix this early on and we will work towards ensuring that the team gives a good account out there,” Corneal said.

 

The team will continue with sessions at the Marvin Lee Stadium ahead of Wednesday’s encounter which kicks off at 7pm. The El Salvador team is scheduled to arrive in the country on Monday. They are also preparing for upcoming 2010 World Cup qualification.

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home