AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

TTFF News- Whitley motivated under Maturana

Issued by Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Media Officer, February 26, 2008

 

National team midfielder Aurtis Whitley is confident that he will fit into Francisco Maturana’s plans for this country’s upcoming international programme.

 

At least the W Connection and T&T 2006 World Cup team member says he’s motivated again and willing to do what is necessary to regain a regular starting role in the team.

 

Whitley has been present at every training session this month since being recalled to the team that is preparing for upcoming friendly internationals against El Salvador at home on March 19 and Jamaica in Kingston on March 26.

 

“The sessions have been good and the coach seems to like what he’s seeing so far. The only problem right now is my fitness level but that will come in time,” Whitley told TTFF Media after Tuesday’s training session at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

 

“It felt good to be back after being out for a while. It’s a great lift from me to get recalled by the coach and hopefully now I can prove my worth.”

 

Maturana did say that Whitley would have to ensure him of his long-term commitment to the country’s cause.

 

“We did speak and I think I’m up for it and ready to give it a good shot. It will be a lot of work but as long as I continue working hard… I should be in good shape and able to make a contribution to the team..

 

“Going towards 2010 I will have some more experience than some of the others and I will try to help some of those other guys this time around to make sure we can get there again.”

 

Working under the Colombian Maturana is a change from the Leo Beenhakker period but Whitley, formerly of CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, is fancying the style of the ex-Ecuador coach.

 

"‘His style is a different one. It’s a lot of ball possession and more playing with the ball than before. Before (it) was still a lot of ball work with this coach now.. it’s more knocking the ball and if you can take on.. then take on… It suits my game more and maybe I can do what I want to a bit more on the field. I’m looking forward to those next two games where hopefully I can settle back into the team,” Whitley said.

 

Following his brief stint in Vietnam last year which preceded largely unfavorable comments from the Hoang Anh Gia Lai coach.

 

“I like when there is some negative because it spurs me on to turn it around into something negative. Even before the World Cup there was a particular coach and some other people who said I couldn’t cut it at that level and we all still went there and held our own,” Whitley added.

 

The team will train on Wednesday but Maturana will hope to have more involvement from the Jabloteh player as there has not been a full turn out since training commenced last week. Atulla Guerra and Jason Marcano were present on Tuesday while Khaleem Hyland and Lester Peltier are away on trial. Joe Public’s Seon Power is out injured while Keyeno Thomas and Gary Glasgow are both recovering from injury. National youth team trio Daniel Cyrus, Leston Paul and Akeem Adams are being interchanged between sessions as the Under 20 team has began training in the afternoon period. The trio did train under Maturana last week.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home