AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Thursday, June 14, 2007

TTFF News - A year later... Shaka says T&T flag still flying high

Photo shows T&T World Cup defender Avery John meeting national players Andre Toussaint, Darryl Roberts and Densill Theobald at the team's session at the Foxboro Stadium on Monday. John plays with New England Revoloution which uses the stadium for its home games. Photo courtesy TTFF Media.

A year later… Shaka says flag still flying high
Issued by Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Media Officer, June 12, 2007

Trinidad and Tobago World Cup goalkeeper Shaka Hislop this week reflected on the past year as the country marked it’s one year anniversary since making it’s debut at the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.

Hislop, currently in Dallas playing his trade in the MLS, was in touch with Trinidad and Tobago National Team taking part in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

And the former West Ham and Newcastle United goalkeeper mentioned that in spite of the situation which caused several of his World Cup teammates to look on at the Gold Cup, he saw the benefits of the home-based players being able to gain the exposure at the international level.

“The impasse, though, has given the opportunity for a lot of our locally
based players to gain valuable experience at the international level, which
is always a very big step for anyone to make regardless of where they ply
their trade,” Hislop told TTFF Media.

“Silvio Spann has bounced back from his disappointment of missing
out on the World Cup to shine in the current Gold Cup. And Densill Theobald is
carrying the armband with the dignity that Dwight did last summer.”

Theobald did consult Hislop for advice on the impasse and was guided accordingly.

“Densill asked for my advice on his selection for national duty in light of the impasse, I
said to him that he had been put in a difficult situation, but he could only
do what he felt was best for the long term good of T&T football. He felt
it was to make himself available and lead the team from the front,” explained Hislop who was on the phone with Jan Michael Williams after his brave display in Saturday’s 2-0 loss to USA in Los Angeles.

“I'm delighted with the decision he (Theobald) made, and proud of the job he is doing. And of course Jan-Michael has made a big fan out of me. If he keeps his feet on the
ground (figuratively speaking of course!) we'll be well represented
between the sticks for some time to come. I'd love to witness the battle
between him and Kelvin Jack for the number one shirt!

“So for me, everything taken into consideration, the flag continues to
fly high and proud,” Hislop added.

Looking back at Germany 2006, the last minute change with him replacing Jack in goal against the Swedes and the final outcome, Hislop was still in awe to an extent.

“My fondest memory of the World Cup will always be hearing the National Anthem
before the Sweden game. I maintain I was a T&T fan long before I was a
player. I cried in '89. And to finally hear our anthem playing for the
whole world to hear made up for all those years of hurt. As for the game itself, after about 75 minutes, I realized that despite 85% of the crowd wearing the yellow of Sweden 90% of the crowd were singing for Trinidad and Tobago. It took my breath away. As a player I'd never experienced anything like it. And then came the final whistle...I still can't describe the feelings.

“I was home for carnival this year, and my father put on a DVD of the
game, and he, my two brothers and I sat down to watch it. I think I lasted about
2 minutes before I had to walk away. As I said to someone recently, that
Sweden game is my fairytale, and I'm not quite ready to give it up just
yet! Maybe I'll try to watch it again next carnival,” Hislop continued.

And despite the ongoing impasse, Hislop still managed to mention the positives in T&T football.

“I think the still ongoing impasse has left a slightly bitter taste after what was without doubt our most successful 12 months in international football. Our debut appearance at the World Cup will remain in the memories of millions, and not only T&T fans, for a very long time to come.

“The Under 17s have qualified for the Junior World Cup, showing that we continue
to produce a lot of exciting and promising talent. More and more players
are making the step up from what has become a truly exciting Pro League to
the leagues of Europe. And those that were already there continue to shine.
With Carlos Edwards, Stern John and Dwight back in the Premier League, where
they belong, with Sunderland next season. With Carlos in particular getting
the recognition his play deserves.”

“So again for me everything taken into consideration, the flag continues to
fly high and proud,” the big man concluded.

He added that he would be following T&T’s final Group B game against Guatemala on Tuesday night with interest even if his country had little chance of advancing to the second round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home