AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

TTFF News - Going Korea with U17 goalie Glenroy Samuel - Profile

“My mother sells pies to help out and it was always hard for her. Now I am just happy I was able to play a part in helping the country reach a World Cup and I hope I can make things better for my family and be an inspiration”.

 

That’s the first response that comes from National Under 17 goalkeeper Glenroy Samuel when asked about his background and how he felt about being part of the Trinidad and Tobago team that qualified earlier this month  for the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.

 

Born and grown up in Block 22, Laventille, Glenroy was a top guard  in the T&T goal in all of its matches in the recent final CONCACAF qualifying round in Jamaica but his two most significant showings came in the 2-1 win over Canada and the 1-0 win over Jamaica which booked T&T’s spot in Korea.

 

A former student of Belmont Junior Secondary, the 16-year-old Samuel now attends San Juan Senior Secondary and is a member of the CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh football club. He hopes to one day play in the Italian League and his favourite team is AC Milan.

 

Now residing in San Juan, he knows all too well what it means to come from almost nothing to being the number one youth goalkeeper in T&T. A couple years back, he missed out on making the National Under 15 team because of having missed training sessions due to Church calls, following the Pentecostal faith. But persistence and tireless work with goalkeeper coach Ross Russell pushed Samuel to the starting team in a friendly against Mexico and then all four qualifying matches in Jamaica.

 

“I was left out of the team for the Under 15s because I missed some training with Church but I wanted the spot real bad so I worked really hard after that. I have a mad mind and I don’t give up. I know I was better than that and I just kept on pushing myself.I know sometimes it was hard for Jesse (Fullerton) but worked it out,” said Samuel who also favours his chances in a 400 metres race.

 

He added that Russell, Shaka Hislop ,Kelvin Jack and Jan Michael Williams have been the inspiring figures for him.

 

“Ross always working me real hard and I am thankful for that. I think my reflexes are one of my strengths but I need to talk more in the game.

 

“All in all I wanted to be a goalkeeper because I’m a wild man… I like to dive,” Samuel laughed. “But seriously, I like to think of myself as the main man to protect things for the team. They have to come through me last to beat my team.”

 

 Standing at 5ft 9 inches, he praised Corneal and the staff of the Under 17 team along with his mother Donna for guiding him. He has his sights on playing professionally and lining up for the Trinidad and Tobago Senior Team.

 

“If you ask me who inspired me I would say the whole coaching staff and my mother Donna. She has to sell pies too to help out and I said I feel good that I can maybe help her out now. It’s good when youths can help out too,” he ended. In the meantime, he will take up his position and await the outcome of Thursday’s draw in Seoul, promising not to get too mad over it.

 

Name – Glenroy Samuel

Position – Goalkeeper

Club – CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh

School – San Juan Senior Comprehensive

Date of Birth – April 5, 1990

Hometown – San Juan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home