AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

MEETING MICHAEL JOHNSON….OH JUST THAT IS….

Beijing is estimated to have over 16 million inhabitants, but on my arrival and bus ride through the streets of the capital of China, it resembled a GHOST TOWN.
The only people on the streets at around 3pm in the afternoon on a weekday were police officers and street cleaners and all seem so intent on their jobs ( sorry work) , that they seemed oblivious to everything else and everyone else around them.
Sometimes, you can know if a country is ready for the big occasion by the reaction of the people involved and certainly the enthusiasm of the volunteers was beyond comprehension. Almost too military precision (Both Chinese and non Chinese were walking side by side, three in a line); these youngsters could not be older than 17 to 20 years.
Even the Chinese immigration officer surprised me, when she realized that I was in Beijing for the Olympic Games and asked me,” If I was competing, and in what event”. Needless to say, everyone knows my answer…or do you.
On the topic of immigration, I have to say, that “Duracell like” Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee Secretary General – Brian Lewis – is a man of immense stamina. He had recommended this route of New York, Washingston and finally Beijing to me, in all of 24 hours, because he did it, and now I know where his years of rugby training finally paid off. Having not really rugby, because of all the pain…it was a journey not to be forgotten, especially when you are vegetarian.
This will be an important Olympic Games for two athletes, considered veterans by some, Hammer thrower – Candice Scott and Shot Putter –Cleopatra Borel Brown -. Both of these ladies will be seeking to prove that Female power can finally earn a place for Trinidad and Tobago on the Olympic Stage.
Scott is hoping that a troublesome injury for over 2 years will finally be behind her, while Borel Brown is determined to prove that marriage and sport can mix and mix positively and successfully internationally. If there are two members of this Trinidad and Tobago contingent, that have more drive and determination than these two, then I have not met them as yet.
Interestingly , I ran into ( no sorry , I walked into , via an elevator door , people) infamous 200/400 metres athlete – Michael Johnson, the man with the still unbroken 200 metres world record of 19.66 and he was very responsive to me , even as he found out , that I was from the Caribbean. A little later, I was more precise with exactly where – Trinidad and Tobago – and I felt he was in a hurry to leave. I still wonder if it is because of Ato Boldon.
So it is time to turn to Cold Play and there new thoughtproving song, which brings great thoughts to my mind(used to rule the worldSeas would rise when I gave the wordNow in the morning I sleep aloneSweep the streets I used to ownI used to roll the diceFeel the fear( yes FEARLESS) in my enemies eyesListen as the crowd would sing:"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!")
Anyway I am for Dinner at a restaurant called……. ( it is a Chinese Word and whats the difference, I can’t even pronounce it , but it has the best SEAFOOD , so that should be good).
Did I hear someone say , How Can I tell the difference between Seafood and other food???


:: AB

1 Comments:

  • At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salu2!, cuando estes al dope, pasate por mi blog ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home