AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

DANIEL – IS ON A HIGH WITH FAMILY SUCCESS AND SUPPORT

“No Air, No Air …Tell me, how to breathe with no air, no air”.

Those words above form an essential part of a popular song making the rounds around the World, desribes a joy but competitive day for one TRinidad and Tobago athlete at the 29th Beijing Olympics.

On a Hot, muggy afternoon in Beijing, at the Indoor Shooting Range Hall, Trinidad and Tobago’s Roger Daniel brave fight to overcome a relatively new coach, with a change of system and technique was never going to be in time for these games. Daniel had scores of 98, 95,92,94,96 and 96 to finish with a grand total of 571points and position number 37 overall from 48 participants. Four years ago he was 27th in this same event.
“I tried my best on the day and it just did not come out how I wanted it. I feel good though, I struck to my technique today…I Feel good.”
But Daniel not one to be daunted stated , he would return ever better in the future ,” I think it will be great, I realized more and more , the more I compete , I am understanding it more and more and believe you me, I am going to do much better in the future.”
38 year old Daniel however has a lot of other matters to celebrate, when he became a father for the third time on the night of the Grand Opening “On the 8th of the 8th of the year 2008, all of the Japanese around me, are telling me I am so lucky, because many Chinese women wanted this day for their child to be born,”
A shy Daniel at first hesitated but then relaxed about his family ,” I have two sons currently , Christian Daniels and Shakiel Edwards, and my new baby daughter will be called – Kyomi -.When I spoke with my wife ( Grace Cupid-Daniel) last night , she was still a bit drowsy, so I am longing to see all of them again. “remarked Daniel.

Reflection soon began to cross Daniel’s mind and he confessed about his 571 ( The set target which was only achieved with 6.20 minutes remaining on the clock”),”No I am not happy , because as you would realize most of the scores were low and I should have been much higher, than what I did today. But in life it is about learning from your lessons, “said Daniel
Daniel a true family man, spoke on the role his family played in his life, “Growing up from a kid, when you heard your brother or your father was into sport, they got your support and I know for a fact …I am missing hockey, it fills me up and I want everyone to know in hockey, that I am here to support them,”

Daniel also spoke highly of his coach (Ms Atlantsetseg Byambajav), whose influence was clear, Daniel’s shhoting quality improving each time he took a break and spoke with her, “While, you are in the competition, you do not see yourself, but talking to the coach could really build you back up and inspire you and make, especially if you are having a bad run. So from time to Time, you take break and talk to the coach….The coach watches everything and analyses and correct situations.”
Daniel told the Trinidad Guardian “The Coach and I met a couple of times before and over the last two years we linked up. I watched her style, I watched what she does and we talked and the rest is now history, she is my coach….I was there (Mongolia) over the last few months training for the Olympics. Everything went good. She has thought me a lot of new things, both in breathing and the way I hold the pistol. The movement of hands and my whole focus and I am now getting accustomed to it , so by the World Championships next year , I will be seeking a top six finish , ,”added Daniel
Daniel is eager to hug and kiss his new baby gir,”I stay for a while and then I go back home, there is the Caribbean Championships, so I will take a rest, as I have a new baby girl and then later on prepare for that.,” confessed Daniel
Daniel is not too concern about his final placing of 37th insted,” I just want to go back to the drawing board and work on some areas and I know I will be better. I feel it in me…”
People do you all know something….I believe so too.
China’s overwhelming favourite –Pang Wei – won to give China
Its second goal medal for the Olympic Games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home