AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Monday, November 20, 2006

ROMARIO TO PLAY IN AUSTRALIA


Romario arrives for United stint
Brazilian great Romario arrived in Australia on Monday, promising Adelaide United he will score goals and try to close the gap of tearaway A-League leaders Melbourne Victory.

A member of Brazil's victorious 1994 World Cup team, the 40-year-old Romario will play the first in a four-match guest stint with Adelaide on Saturday.

Romario has, according to his own calculations, scored 984 career goals and would like to break the 1,000-goal barrier before possible retirement next year.

He told reporters at Adelaide airport he had been preparing with four weeks of solid training and was ready to go.

"I am very happy to be here again in Adelaide. I have followed the team and its progress. I just hope to do my best here," Romario said.

"I'm fit and I have been working very hard with my training coach and I hope to help create goals."

The 1994 world player of the year said he hopes his Australian visit was beneficial for both parties and that he could contribute to the team being successful.

"I'm focusing on scoring goals here and to help the team win and close the gap on Melbourne," he said

"I'm focusing on playing the four games, it is very important for me. I hope it will be nice for me and nice for Adelaide."

Adelaide United lies second on the A-League ladder, some 12 points behind Melbourne.

Romario will join his new team-mates at training Tuesday and is hoping to play the full 90 minutes when he takes his place in the Adelaide United squad on Saturday against Central Coast Mariners in Gosford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home