AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Friday, September 29, 2006

Controversial umpire Darrell Hair will not officiate in the forthcoming ICC Champions Trophy in India

A spokesman for the International Cricket Council said the decision was down to safety and security concerns.

But confirming he would continue his career, Hair said: "I umpire matches in good faith and take the decisions I feel necessary on the field."

An outcry followed his decision to punish Pakistan for ball-tampering at the Test at The Oval in August.

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq was found not guilty of the charge on Wednesday.

But afterwards, Hair freely answered questions at a news conference arranged after the hearing, and was in largely jovial mood.

The 53-year-old Australian, who was relaxed throughout, said he wished to continue his umpiring career.




He said he accepted the ICC's decision not to have him umpire in the Champions Trophy but added: "Of course I wish to keep on being an umpire.

"My umpiring performance or career is on public record and if other people consider I am still good enough to umpire I will continue."

"My contract with the ICC states I must umpire to the best of my ability and apply the laws of cricket, honestly and fairly.

"I'm out there doing my best."

Asked about allegations that his actions were motivated by racism, Hair added: "I don't wish to enter into any debate about racism, people can make their accusations (but) of course I deny them."

Hair, a veteran of 76 Tests, said he would happily officiate at any level anywhere in the world.

He said: "I don't have any problems umpiring in any part of the world. I've umpired Malta, Italy, lots of places.

"If we can't take the criticism we shouldn't be out there. I've handled it for 21 years and can still handle it when it's justified and when it's not justified."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home