AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nash happy in WI colours

Nash happy in West Indies colours

 

West Indies allrounder Brendan Nash is “totally enjoying” his time in the West Indies team and is also embracing Caribbean culture.

 

“My family has a very strong Jamaican heritage. I wanted to experience the culture as well as play cricket so I made the decision to return. My sister and myself had glimpses of it when we went there for holidays so I knew quite a bit of what to expect when I made the move to go there,” the soft-spoken 30-year-old said.

 

Nash was born in Perth after his father Paul – a former Jamaica Olympic swimmer – and mother Andrea moved to Western Australia. His older sister Candice was born in Jamaica. He grew up in Queensland and went on to represent the state team. While representing Queensland, Nash once served as emergency fielder for Australia in a Test match against West Indies.

 

“I went to watch the World Cup in 2007 and decided at that point that I would make a move to return to Jamaica. I moved around the middle of last year and since then I managed to work my way into the Jamaica team and now the West Indies side. I enjoy my cricket and I’m totally enjoying my time in the side and among a great bunch of team-mates.”

 

Nash was speaking on the eve of the first Test against New Zealand at the University Oval which bowls off on Thursday at noon (7 pm Eastern Caribbean Time/6 pm Jamaica Time).

 

As a boy growing up he was exposed to Jamaican culture and explained: “I love the culture. I love reggae music and I’m getting used to jerk chicken” but admitted, “the dancing side of things I’m still not that good.”

 

Nash played well for Jamaica and earned selection to the West Indies team for the tri-nation series against Canada and Bermuda in Toronto five months ago, where he made his One-Day International debut.

 

He said the hallmark of his game is his tenacity and willingness to work hard.

“I am a consistent player, I’m not a flashy type of player. You know what you are going to get with me. I am someone with a bit of experience, which I gained from playing in Australia as well as playing for Jamaica. I am primarily a batsman, so that is my strength. I can bowl a bit and I always like to make a contribution in the field. Whatever I can do to help I am willing to do,” he said.

 

Looking forward to the upcoming two-Test series, he noted: “I think it is going to be a very competitive series. Both captains have said that. Both teams are slightly new in terms of some of the players – they have a few and we have a few who have not played a Test yet like myself – so you could say it is pretty even at this stage.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home