AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

CFU NEWS - Warner responds to English FA chairman

Warner responds to English FA chairmain

 

Issued on August 21, 2007

 

FIFA Vice President and CONCACAF boss Jack Warner has issued a letter to Chairman of the FA Geoff Thompson referring to his written response on August 14, 2007 which expressed his disappointment over Warner’s comments to the BBC World Service regarding England’s 2018 World bid.

 

In an interview with the BBC’s Chris Mitchell at his Port of Spain offices earlier this month, Warner said he would "fight to the very end" to stop FIFA from changing its policy, and ridiculed England's chances of hosting the tournament even if the rules did change.


The FA then responded, adding that it  wanted an explanation of Warner's claims that England won't host the 2018 World Cup.

 

The following was Warner’s response to Thompson on Sunday. The hard copy will be presented to the English FA’s representative in Goyang, Korea on Thursday.

 

“I refer to your letter of August 14th 2007 expressing surprise and disappointment on my comments made to the BBC World Service. I am the one surprised at your disappointment on these comments, none of which is untrue and in fact all of which remains applicable even as I write.

 

“Nothing I have said disputes the fact that the FA provides valuable assistance in various and many ways to CONCACAF as a Federation and even to me personally and hence the reason I believe that I should be more candid than ever in light England’s experience during the 2006 World Cup bidding exercise. You will recall at that time I told you that you would not get more than 5 votes……….and you got 5. You will also recall that I told you not to rely on promises made to you by your closest and dearest colleagues, some of whose countries had been and continue to be the recipients of extensive assistance from the FA…………….and subsequent events did prove me to be correct.

 

“ I also did say in the BBC interview that I am committed to CONCACAF hosting the World Cup in 2018, which I would have expected anyone to understand based on my position in CONCACAF. The fact that you have failed to do so is indeed shocking to me and that you may have been boxed into a corner and be among the many detractors is all the more surprising.

 

“I said in the BBC interview that the FA is not liked in Europe despite what the FA has done for the development of world football and even as the country that invented the sport. I stand today by those very sentiments expressed.

 

“Suffice it to say, Geoff, that my candour has always been my strength and my weakness depending on which side of the fence one is standing, but you will agree that at our age, it is difficult to change one’s life long principle of honesty in all our relationships and undertakings.  Thank you for your usual understanding, as we both remain committed to the development of the beautiful game.

 

Kindest regards

Jack Warner

President, CONCACAF

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home