AndreBaptiste.com BLOG

The Premier Sports info pages of Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. This blog is linked to www.andrebaptiste.com

Thursday, July 05, 2007

TTFF News - Scotland gets new permit.... off to Sweden with Swansea

Scotland gets permit… off to Sweden with new club

 

Issued by Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Media Officer, July 4, 2007

 

Trinidad and Tobago striker Jason Scotland officially became a Swansea City player on Wednesday after being granted a new work permit by the home office in England.

 

Scotland will join his new teammates on Wednesday for a preseason tour of Sweden, taking up a two year contract with the option of a one year extension. A tour to Holland will then follow before the start of the season which he will play alongside countryman Dennis Lawrence in Swansea colours.

 

Scotland’s agent Mike Berry was a relieved man as the former Defence Force player had to await a one-hour hearing in London attended by Swansea City manager Roberto Martinez, general manager Alun Cowie, chief scout Kevin Reeves and Berry.

 

“" I am delighted for Scotty as he has battled through the setback of 2 years ago and shown true warrior spirit to establish himself as the most exciting player in League 1 football  in Scotland for the last 2 years.  Lesser players would have quit, given up and gone back home.He now has a platform to establish himself in English League 1 and hopefully get into the Championship with his new club in their new 20,000 seater stadium and passionate fan base,” Berry told TTFF Media on Wednesday.

 

“In my opinion he is good enough to go all the way to the top and I am proud to have him as a client and he is a credit to T&T and his family. On a personal note this is the 18th successful work permit I have organised for T&T players and look forward to many more as I carry on doing while others talk,” Berry affirmed

 

Scotland who will wear the number nine shirt was simply looking ahead to beginning his time on English soil.

 

“It’s a relief really and now I can go on to further my career. I’m obviously excited to join my new club. It’s a new challenge and I intend to grasp it fully. Hats off to my agent Mike as well who has been superb for me. He had a tough period when he was in hospital recently  but he kept with it and if it hadn’t been for him this permit may not have come through at this point. So thanks to him and now I just have to look ahead and do what is required on the pitch,” Scotland told TTFF Media on Wednesday.

 

Making the switch to English football has always been Scotland’s ambition.

 

“I have always wanted to play in England and now that this opportunity has been given to me I’m looking to make the most of it. I hope I can settle in well at the club and continue where I left off at St Johnstone. I want to thank the club (St Johnstone) there for giving me a chance when I couldn’t get the previous work permit and they allowed me to join them and I was able to score goals to help the club.I want to do the same for Swansea now,” he ended.

 

Martinez too was delighted to have Scotland’s position safe after he had been previously denied while at Dundee before his move to St Johnstone in 2005.

 

"It's absolutely fantastic news. We had a very good hearing; very professional. We were all delighted to hear the positive outcome and I am already excited about working with him. He will be a quality acquisition to our squad. Goalscorers are the most precious commodity in football and I believe we've captured one of the highest calibre. As I said before, he has a magic touch and can make something out of nothing. He will certainly entertain and excite the crowds at the Liberty Stadium and beyond,” Martinez said.

 

The former Malick Senior Comprehensive player scored 26 goals for St Johnstone last season to take his overall tally at McDiarmid Park to 33 goals in 66 League appearances. He was named on the Scottish Division One “Team of the Year” last season and was also a member of T&T’s 2006 World Cup squad.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home